Motorola this week announced *check out our coverage of the announcement here* easily our favourite Android device so far, the Moto G. The Moto G is an Android phone with a difference, and that big difference is price, but before you get all ney-say and think you’ve seen it all before, trust me you haven’t!
The Moto G is actually an incredibly good Android smartphone with some moderately good specs, which become incredible specs when we tell you this thing is retailing from £119!
- 1.2GHz Quad-core SnapDragon 400 Processor promising great performance and all-day battery life!
- 1GB RAM
- 4.5″ HD 720p Display with Cornin Gorilla Glass 3 (329ppi)
- Android 4.3 Jellybean (Kitkat with a matter of months by January ’14)
- 5MP Rear Camera with 720p video capture and Slo-mo.
- 1.3MP Front Facing Camera
- 3G/HSPA+ Support
- 802.11b/a/g/n Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- FM Radio
- Customisable backs *coming soon* available in ‘Black, White, Blue, Light Blue, Yellow, Red and Pink’
- Bumper Cases, Charging, Headphones and Front protection cases also coming soon in matching colours
So, pretty decent specs for the price. The device also comes with a vanilla Android experience, meaning the cleanest and best experience Android can offer and perfect for a first time Android user.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: This device does NOT come with Headphones or a Charger, just a microUSB Cable, so if you are getting this as a Christmas pressie, or for yourself, make sure you have those covered.
Fellow Brit YouTuber ‘MrThaiBox123‘ has an unboxing and hands on which shows you around the phone, which you can check out below;
Where to buy?
So, the question is simple, here’s a great handset that so many people are going to want, but where should I get it?
Well, you’ve quite a few options, but here’s a low down of stores you can purchase a Moto G from. (Our more recommended retailers up top)
Whilst Motorola mentioned the device would be available through their Direct website, this seems to link to Phones4U, for Phones4U deals, check below.
Phones4U offer some very tempting deals on the Moto G, especially if you plan on getting the handset on Pay As You Go, Phones4U also offer the device -upon request- in SIM Free for the more or less same Motorola prices.
- PAY MONTHLY: Free on all networks, view deals on 8GB and 16GB models!
- PAY AS YOU GO: £119.95 for 8GB, £149.95 for 16GB NOTE: All much be purchased with £10 Top-up
- PAY AS YOU GO UPGRADE: £119 for 8GB, £149 for 16GB.
NOTE: A Pay as You Go upgrade is only valid for existing Pay As You Go customers on an active network for over 6 months.
- SIM FREE: £134.95 for 8GB, £159.95 for 16GB
Carphone Warehouse offer the Moto G on better Contracts as Phones4U, but do not offer the Upgrade or even Pay As You Go deals of Phones4U, so chose which suits you. Carphone Warehouse only seem to stock 8GB models at this time too, which is disappointing to say the least.
All deals for 8GB version
- PAY MONTHLY: Free on all networks at Contracts as low as £11/month
- SIM FREE: n/a
By Network Operator
Some Networks do offer the Moto G too, such as O2 and Vodafone, however their prices seem to either equal or exceed the prices by both Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U. Seen as Motorola recommend Phones4U, I guess so do we.
What about the +15 Customisable Cases
We contacted Motorola for more information about the availability of their Customisable Cases and they said they should be available by the end of this month, but no information on pricing was disclosed. Cases for the Moto G have now begun showing up at Clove, with more retailers to follow, back covers are £8.99, flip covers at £18.99.
So, what do you think about the Moto G, impressed? We sure are, we think the Moto G could be the gem of the year for Android and a perfect present for Christmas.