NOTE: This works for MacBook Air 11 and 13 inch (all generations) AND the Mac Mini generations without a disc drive.
Upon purchasing a MacBook Air, review coming soon, I thought it would be useful, for those who don’t know where to find them, to post the links to the dedicated software for Windows PCs to use Remote Disc, and how to do in for other Macs.
1. Download this tool from Apple. (Was once included as a disc in the Air box. Supports XP Sp2, Sp3, Vista and 7)
2. Once installed you can simple go to Control Panel (then click Hardware & Sound on Vista/7).
3. Then select ‘DVD or CD Sharing Options’
4. Then simply tick both options.
5. Done. You’re MacBook Air will be able to find your PCs disc drive over your Wi-Fi network.
Mac OS X
Macs with Snow Leopard or Lion
1. Go to System Preferences
2. In the ‘View’ menu click ‘Sharing’
3. Tick ‘DVD or CD Sharing’
4. Done. You’re MacBook Air will be able to find your Macs disc drive over your Wi-Fi network.
Macs with Tiger or Leopard
1. Download this tool from Apple. Was once included on the Air box. Supports 10.4.8 or later
2. Once installed you can refer to the 4 step instructions above for Snow Leopard and Lion.
Downloads provided by Apple Inc.